As a Catholic school, our mission is to support the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of all of our pupils, rooted in the wisdom and teaching of the Church and to ensure this is full-filled we have decided to the scheme adopt ‘Life to the Full’ by ‘Ten Ten’ to deliver RSE in our school. Ten Ten is an award-winning Catholic educational organisation that is well-respected and very experienced in this field of work, this scheme has been approved by our diocese. All of the sessions are age-appropriate and meet the needs of all pupils in the class.
RSE is taught through core subjects within school: PSHE, RE and Science from EYFS through to Year 6. The aim of RSE in Primary Schools are:
- To give children the information they need to help them develop healthy, nurturing relationships of all kinds, not just intimate relationships.
- To enable them to know what a healthy relationship looks like and what makes a good friend, a good colleague and a successful marriage or other type of committed relationship.
- To teach what acceptable and unacceptable behaviours are in relationships.
- For Pupils to understand the positive effects that good relationships have on their mental wellbeing, identify when relationships are not right and understand how such situations can be managed.
The core themes for each year group are:
- Families and people who care for me
- Caring friendships
- Respectful relationships
- Online relationships
- Being Safe – This includes the concept of personal privacy
All teaching RSE will take in a safe learning environment and be underpinned by our school ethos and values. A variety of opportunities will be provided for pupils to ask questions to further their understanding and to find out more about what affects them personally. The Ten Ten RSE scheme of learning will run alongside our personalised PSHE curriculum which is already taught weekly in every class in a dedicated session.
The Ten Ten scheme is Split into three modules/themes:
- Created and Loved by God
- Created to Love Others
- Created to Live in Community
For more information, please see our RSE Policy and PSHE/RSE whole school curriculum long term plan for 21-22 below.