At St Mary’s RC Primary School, our Mission Statement commits us to the education of the whole child (spiritual, physical, intellectual, moral, social, cultural, emotional) and we believe that PSHE is an integral part of this education. Furthermore, we will endeavour to raise pupils’ self-esteem, help them to grow in knowledge and understanding, recognise the value of all persons and develop positive, caring and sensitive attitudes. PSHE enables our children to become healthy, independent and responsible members of a diverse multicultural society. We encourage our pupils to play a positive role in contributing to the life of the school and the wider community. In so doing we help develop their sense of self-worth. We teach them how society is organised and governed, ensuring that they experience the process of democracy within school, learning about rights and responsibilities. We want St Mary’s pupils to gain in confidence and to develop aspirations for their futures, so that they are well-prepared for their transition to high school - and ready to move forward with positive experiences in their journeys through life.
The aims of personal, social and health education and citizenship are to enable the children to:
- know and understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle;
- be aware of safety issues;
- understand what makes for good relationships with others;
- have respect for others;
- be independent and responsible members of the school community;
- be positive and active members of a democratic society;
- develop self-confidence and self-esteem, and make informed choices regarding personal and social issues;
- develop good relationships with other members of the school, parish and the wider community;
- develop an awareness of global issues.
Children will be taught a dedicated PSHE lesson each week and across the full year we will cover all aspects of the statutory elements using a scheme of learning called ten:ten and non-statutory elements through themed weeks and using the PSHE association.
Please see our curriculum plan below to see what we will be learning in PSHE/RSE for 2021-2022.
Our PSHE policy is also below for you to view