Year 2 2022 - 2023
YEAR 2 CLASS NEWSLETTER – SEPTEMBER 2022
Miss Kay Mrs Middleton
Welcome to Year 2!
I am Miss Kay, the Year 2 class teacher and I am looking forward to working with your amazing child this year. Mrs Middleton is our brilliant Teaching Assistant who will be supporting your children. We have got lots of exciting learning ahead of us this year and I am positive the children will love every minute.
I am excited to begin the Spring term with your fantastic children, we are sure to have a great time. This term we also have the pleasure of welcoming our student teacher Miss Astin, who will be in Year 2 for the next eleven weeks.
This term the children will be spending lots of time training to be a Secret Agent in preparation for their Secret Agent Tasks (SATS) in the summer term. We have already begun these preparations and the children are already showing great resilience.
This term there will be a great push on the children’s reading skills to develop their understanding of the stories and texts that they can read independently. To support parents at home with the application of this, a phonics and reading workshop will be held in school – information will be provided in the next couple of weeks.
This Spring term our topics are going to be:
- English Spring 2 – Stories by the same Author and Non-chronological reports, the text used will be ‘Charlie and the Chocolate factory’
- Maths – Fractions, Volume, Money, 2D shapes, 3D shapes, Length & Mass. Additionally the children will be continuing to embed their Arithmetic skills learnt in Autumn term.
- History – Significant Individuals (Betty Jackson)
- Geography – Comparing Bacup with a non-European country
- Science – Animals and their habitats & Plants
- RE – Books, Thanksgiving & Opportunities
- Art – Human form & Art and design skills
- PSHE – Personal relationships & keeping safe
- Computing – Creating pictures & Spreadsheets
- PE – Gymnastics, Fundamental Movement skills & Games
Our PE days are going to be:
- Mondays and Wednesdays – children must have a full PE kit on these days.
Homework is going to be:
- 10 Minutes TT rock stars a week
- 10 Minutes reading 3 nights a week or more
- 6 spellings to learn each week
- Handwriting, Phonics or Maths practice sheet
Homework will be handed out on a Wednesday and returned on a Monday. Reading books will be changed every Wednesday, please make sure you sign your child's reading record EVERY NIGHT they read, this way the children will move up the reading challenge quickly and earn their reading certificates more quickly, I have been happy to see many Year 2 children being given reading awards already this year.
If you have any questions or would like to arrange an appointment to see me, please contact me on my email at email@example.com or the school office on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Year 2: Gallery items
Christmas Farm Trip, by Miss Kay